re-entering well at wumc
Our Re-Entering Well Task Force has been hard at work planning for safe and meaningful re-opening at Westminster UMC.
We anticipate the life of the church to continue to be shaped, at least in part, by COVID-19 until the end of 2020, and most likely into 2021. We will be evaluating what worship, preschool, and overall building usage will look like for as long as necessary, while continuing to do our part as a faith community to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and to care for each other and the community. This may be a long process of opening, closing, evaluating, and re-evaluating.
Anticipated phase one in re-opening, eff. july 5
GUIDELINES - SOCIAL DISTANCING / ENTERING THE CHURCH CAMPUS
- If you are experiencing a fever, cough or any other symptoms of illness, stay home.
- Virtual worship, meetings, fellowship and education will continue to be offered for anyone who prefers to continue staying at home.
- Initially, space will be limited to 60-75 worshipers depending on family size. We encourage you to RSVP for worship via the SignUpGenius email that will be forthcoming.
- You are encouraged to take your temperature at home prior to coming to the church campus. All staff and volunteers will have their temperatures taken when they arrive at church, prior to serving. If someone has an elevated temperature, they will be sent home.
- Social distancing of 6 or more feet will be practiced while on campus. The sanctuary and surrounding areas will be clearly marked to ensure social distancing during worship.
- Proper hand hygiene and mask-wearing is expected of anyone entering the building. If you are unable or unwilling to wear a mask, you will be asked to worship or gather virtually.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at all entry points and in strategic places throughout the open section of the building.
- Everyone is encouraged to bring their own masks. Cloth masks with the WUMC logo will be available for purchase. A limited number of disposable masks will be available for anyone who needs one.
- Only two entry-points will be unlocked for access to the building on Sunday mornings: the main front entrance and the entrance to the chapel. The chapel entrance should only be used by those with mobility issues. Trained greeters will be located at each entry to guide people to the sanctuary.
- There will be signage and barriers throughout the building limiting access. Access will be restricted to the sanctuary, the Narthex, the elevator, the stairwell bathrooms located as you exit the doors at the front of the sanctuary on the left, and adjacent hallways.
- The pews will be emptied of all items, including cushions and hymnals. If you prefer a cushion, please bring your own.
- We will be unable to sing corporately for the time being. The music staff and volunteers are reimagining what music in worship will look like.
- Parts of worship that typically include contact, such as passing of the peace, communion, and the offering, will be reimagined to be meaningful while also adhering to social distancing guidelines.
- There will be no fellowship or coffee time before or after the service.
- A process will be in place to sanitize the open section of the building following worship each week.
GUIDELINES - ONGOING LIFE OF THE CHURCH
- VBS will be done virtually summer 2020
- Mission and ongoing service opportunities will remain local and follow CDC and state guidelines until it is determined safe to consider other options.
- The church office and youth house will be closed to all except staff until it is determined safe for others to enter and appropriate precautions are put in place.
- With the exception of Sunday worship, the main church building will be closed to all except staff until it is determined safe for others to enter and appropriate precautions are put in place.
- In the event we learn that someone in our congregation tests positive for COVID-19 and was in the church building, we will follow guidelines for informing public health entities.
re-entering well resources at the bwc-umc
Please view these resources from the BWC-UMC. Each resource is scrollable in our viewer or accessible directly from the source by clicking the page graphic.
Our Re-Entering Well Team at Westminster UMC is following these guidelines and tailoring our opening for a safe and meaningful worship experience for all.
Stay tuned as we approach our tentative opening date of July 5 to return to onsite/corporate worship.